The center was established in 1917 as the Davao Public Hospital. It was a 25 bed capacity hospital in San Pedro St., Davao City. In 1946, the hospital was renamed as the Davao General Hospital increasing its capacity to 200 beds. In 1957, the hospital transferred to its current location at JP Laurel Avenue, Bajada Davao City. It was renamed Davao Regional Medical and Training Center by virtue of the Republic Act. 1859. In 1966, the hospital was transferred to the 12.8 hectare site. Because of its importance in health care delivery the Department of Health issued Administrative Order 157 designating it as the medical Center for Mindanao and Sulu. During the martial law years and the conflict between the MNLF/MILF/NPA and the government of the Republic of the Philippines, the hospital was the major trauma center.
Thanks to Martin Gaerlan. Davao Public Hospital.